A porcelain sink looks beautiful and enhances the appearance of the kitchen but with time its paint may come off. So, how to remove old paint from porcelain sink to give it a new look. Here in this guide, I am sharing my personal methods to remove paint from the porcelain sink without damaging it.
Denatured alcohol, WD-40, and vinegar are some common things you may use to clean paint from the porcelain sink. Alcohol is a good cleaner to remove paint. It cleans the porcelain sink without damaging it. Let’s see all the cleaning methods in detail.
What Type of Paint Is on The Porcelain Sink?
Before starting to remove paint, you should have known what type of paint is on the sink. Whether it is oil-based or water-based. For both paints, the approach is different to remove the paint.
To find out the type of pain, use denatured alcohol. Take a cotton cloth and soak it in the denatured alcohol for around one minute. Now check the condition of the cloth, if the paint is on the cloth it means the paint is water-based otherwise it is oil-based.
How To Remove Old Paint From Porcelain Sink?
Method 1 – Use Denatured Alcohol
This method will work only for water-based paint. If the color is new, it will be removed quickly but for old paint, it will take time. You can also rub an abrasive sponge to remove the old paint.
- Clean the porcelain sink with water and make it dry
- Take a clean cloth or sponge and pour denatured alcohol on it.
- Rub the cloth or sponge on the sink area from where you want to remove the paint
- You need to rub it for a few minutes so the old paint will become loosen and come off
- clean the rubbed area with a dry cloth and then clean it with water
- Dry the sink with a clean cloth and if some paint is still there repeat these steps
Method 2 – Use Vinegar
Vinegar is found in many houses. It is a common household and not expensive. Vinegar will work with water-based paint. For oil paint, it is not useful.
Vinegar can also use to clean other kitchen appliances. Vinegar is a non-harmful cleaning agent so you can use it without any worry. It will not harm sink in any way.
Spray a good amount of vinegar on the paint. Now let it do its work. Leave it for a few hours. Vinegar will react with the paint and make it soft. Now rub the paint with the cloth. Rinse the sink with the water to remove the paint fully. For water-based paint our recommendation is vinegar.
Method 3 – Use WD–40
People use WD-40 to remove stains and rust from the sink. WD-40 works with water-based and oil-based paint. WD-40 is used by plumbers in many plumbing works. It will remove any type of paint from the porcelain sink.
- Clean the paint stain with a dry cloth to remove dirt
- Spray Wd-40 on the paint stain
- WD-40 will do its work and the paint will become loose
- Now wait for a few minutes and then use a scrub brush to scrub the sprayed area
- If needed apply pressure to remove the paint
- Maybe in one try paint won’t come off from the porcelain sink so repeat these steps till all paint come off
- To remove the remaining WD-40 from the sink, wipe down it with a clean cloth and then rinse it with clean water
Method 4 – Use Bon Ami
Bon Ami is another cleaning agent that is used to remove paint from porcelain sinks for the kitchen. It is a non-toxic chemical. It comes in a powder form.
- Wet the area of the sink where you need to remove the paint
- Sprinkle Bon Ami powder on the wet area
- Take a soft brush to rub the powder on the sink
- Rub it in a circular motion until the paint won’t come off
- Rinse the sink with clean water to remove any remaining Bon Ami and paint from the sink
- Take a dry cloth and clean the sink thoroughly
Method 5 – Use Pumice Stone With Lemon Juice
A pumice stone is used to clean the sink without damaging its surface. Pumice stone is available on many online eCommerce stores. Also, if your nearby has a beauty store, you can buy a pumice store from there.
A pumice stone works well with lemon juice. Dip pumice stone into lemon juice and rub it on the paint. Rub it until the paint comes out. For old paint, you need to rub it more times.
Method 6 – Use a Paint Stripper
If the above sink cleaning agents are not useful and still paint is on the porcelain sink, use a paint stripper. The paint stripper works with both types of paint and doesn’t damage the finish of the sink if you use it carefully.
- For safety, put goggles on your eyes and cover your hands with gloves.
- Now apply paint stripper to the paint.
- Use a brush to apply the paint stripper and make the layer thick.
- Now, wait for 15 minutes so the paint stripper does its work to remove the paint.
- Use a plastic scraper to remove the paint. The plastic scraper is safe to use. It will not damage the sink surface and finish.
- If the whole paint is not removed, apply stripper for a few more minutes and again scrap the paint.
- At last rinse the sink with the water.
Method 7 – Use a Strong Cleaner
If all these methods are not working, it’s time to use a strong cleaner to remove old paint from the porcelain sink. To remove very old water-based paint, use a combination of a damp washcloth and Bon Ami powder.
Now to remove old paint, apply the spray on the old paint on the sink and let it settle almost for 15 minutes. You can increase the time according to the condition of the paint. Now take a scraping tool, to get off the paint from the sink. Now rinse the sink surface with clean water. If the surface is dirty, due to the residue of the paint, clean it with soap water.
How To Remove Dried Paint From Porcelain Sink?
Sometimes it becomes difficult to remove dried paint with paint cleaner. If you use paint cleaner in an excessive amount, it will damage the original color of the sink.
You may use dish soap and a blade to remove dried paint. First, rub dish soap on the paint and rub it with a wet cloth for a few minutes and then clean it with water. Do this 3-4 times.
Now take the safety blade and rub the paint with the blade. Rub the blade smoothly and gently. If you rub the blade fast without any care, it will make scratches on the sink.
Can You Use Paint Thinner on The Porcelain Sink To Remove Paint?
Porcelain is built at high temperatures so it is a chemical-resistant material. When paint stick on the porcelain sink, you need a stronger cleaner to remove it.
Paint thinner is a good cleaner that removes paints from any surface. You can use paint thinner on the porcelain sink. It won’t harm the body of the porcelain sink if you use it to the limit. Don’t over-limit it, otherwise, the original paint of the porcelain sink will come out.
How To Deep Clean Porcelain Sink?
Regular cleaning is good to keep the sink clean. But if you don’t clean it every week, you need to do it deep clean every month so stains or colors are not visible on it.
Baking soda and a mixture of ammonia are good to do deep cleaning of the porcelain sink. Mix baking soda and ammonia in the same amount (1/4 cup) in the warm water. Both these cleaning agents are not harsh for the sink.
Take a cotton cloth and soak it into the mixture and rub it on the sink surface. Also, you may use a non-abrasive sponge. Scrub it on the sink until you don’t see a clean surface. Rinse the sink well with clean water. Do this deep cleaning once a month to get better results.
Can I Use Vinegar To Remove Old Paint From Porcelain Sink?
People use vinegar to remove stains from the sink. Vinegar is a good organic cleaner for the porcelain sink. It doesn’t harm the finish and material of the sink.
You can use vinegar to remove all types of paint stains from the Porcelain kitchen sink. Spray vinegar on the paint which you want to remove from the sink and leave it for a few hours. If the paint is not removed fully, you should do this process 2-3 times.
How To Remove Spray Paint From Porcelain Sink?
Use bleach to remove spray paint from the porcelain sink. Bleach is a good cleaning agent to remove spray paint. Oxidizing chemicals are present on the beach. Oxidizing chemicals react with the paint and break the bond inside the paint. So, it becomes easy to remove paint.
How Do You Get Black Paint off From Porcelain Sink?
To remove black paint, you can use any paint cleaner. The color of the paint doesn’t matter, the type of the paint matter. You can remove any color of paint with paint cleaning material. Use paint thinner to remove black paint from the porcelain sink. After removing the paint, clean the sink with vinegar so all black stains will be removed.
Porcelain sinks are used for their stylish looks. They are durable in the use. If the paint is stuck on your porcelain sink, you can use methods from this guide. These methods are good and easy to remove old paint from the porcelain sink. After using the method, your sink will look new, and paint will be removed from it.