How To Clean GE Coffee Maker?
Is your coffee not taste as earlier? Is your GE coffee machine is taking time to brew the coffee? Then you should clean your GE coffee maker. Not sure how to clean GE coffee maker? Don’t worry, there are simple steps to clean it in the article.
People think that descaling a GE coffee maker is a time-consuming task but it won’t take as long as you think. It will take 10-15 minutes to clean it and believe me, you will see a huge change in the coffee maker’s performance and taste.
If your GE coffee maker has a cleaning light, you should descale it, whenever the cleaning light turns on. It will remove calcium deposits from inside the coffee maker. Let’s see how to perform cleaning of a GE coffee maker.
When Should You Clean GE Coffee Maker?
What is the right time to clean a coffee maker? There is not a certain time period for cleaning it because some people use it often so they need to clean it more than once a month on the other side people who use it less, need to clean it once a month.
The best sign you need to clean the coffee maker is when its cleaning indicator is turned on. It means the GE coffee maker is dirty from the inside and you need to clean it.
Another sign is bitter coffee. When buildups form inside the coffee maker, they will make coffee bitter.
The next sign is coffee maker is taking more time to brew coffee. When you see any of these signs, you should immediately clean the coffee maker. If you postpone the cleaning process, it will get damaged from the inside and cost you more money on the repair.
How To Clean GE Coffee Maker?
What You’ll Need
- Vinegar – it is a good cleaning product to clean the coffee maker. You may any other cleaning product of your choice.
- Cleaning Brush – It’s a good idea to use a cleaning brush to remove any stuck coffee grounds from the coffee maker’s parts.
- Water – clean water is needed when you are done with the coffee maker cleaning.
- Paper towels – Use paper towels to dry your coffee maker.
- Rubber gloves – These are not essential but you can use them for your safety.
Step-by-Step Cleaning Instructions
Clean The Outside
Start cleaning the GE coffee maker from the outside. You can clean its outside body with a damp cloth. Gently wipe down its body with a damp cloth. Don’t use any harsh cleaning solution on its body, they will damage it.
Clean The Removable Parts
It’s time to clean the GE coffee maker from the inside. The water reservoir is the part where coffee grounds and other debris can easily get trapped. For this, fill the water reservoir with warm water and vinegar.
Now, wait for 10 minutes and mixture work on buildups and debris. After 10 minutes, turn on the coffee maker so the mixture will pass through all removable parts of the coffee machine.
Maybe in one cycle, the water reservoir is not cleaned properly and some coffee grounds are leftover in the reservoir. You may use a cleaning brush to scrub the coffee grounds. Also, you can run the mixture one more time to clean the reservoir and other parts more deeply.
Descaling Solution Coffee Maker Cleaner – All Natural
Rinse The Removable Parts
After cleaning the removable parts, it’s time to clean them. For this, remove them and rinse them in clean water. If you see any remaining coffee grounds on the parts, scrub them with a cleaning brush. These parts may cut your hand so wear safety gloves for your hands. You need to rinse the water reservoir, filter basket, brew basket, and other removable parts.
Reassembling the Coffee Maker
When cleaning the coffee maker is finished, you need to reassemble the parts of the coffee maker.
Before starting to place the parts in their place, make sure they are thoroughly cleaned and dried. If you let any excess water leave in the parts, it would lead the rust into the parts and in the end, you will have to replace that part.
When parts are dried completely, reassemble them. Make sure each part is placed in the right position. Now turn on the coffee maker and check it.
Tips For Regular Maintenance and Cleaning
- The best way to prevent buildup and debris inside the coffee maker is to clean it regularly.
- You clean your coffee maker once a month. If you use it daily to brew many coffees, you should clean it once a week. So, cleaning duration depends on how often you use a coffee maker.
- When you keep the coffee maker clean, there will be no buildups and leftover coffee grounds in the machine.
- By keeping the coffee maker clean, you can prevent bacteria growth in the coffee maker.
- Run a cycle of warm water and vinegar once a week to keep the coffee maker clean. Also, scrub the removable parts of the machine with a cleaning brush and warm water.
- If you have hard water, you will see a buildup in the machine. For it, you should use a water filter to clean the hard water.
- The coffee filter also is an important part. If you use paper filters instead of permanent filters, you will see fewer coffee grounds in the coffee machine.
- When you are cleaning outside the coffee maker, it is a good idea to unplug the coffee maker to prevent any short circuits.
- After brewing every coffee, you should clean the coffee maker’s milk frother. For this fill a cup of warm water and hold it over the milk frother.
How Do I Descale My GE Cafe Coffee Maker?
- First, empty the remaining coffee and water from the carafe and water reservoir.
- Now fill the water reservoir with equal part vinegar and water. You may also use lemon juice instead of vinegar. Both will work the same.
- Press the brew button. It will run the solution into the coffee maker.
- When half of the solution has run through inside the coffee maker, press the stop button.
- Now let sit the remaining half solution in the coffee maker for 30 minutes. In this time period, vinegar will do its work and descale buildup.
- When time is over, again press the brew button so the remaining solution comes out from the coffee machine.
- Use clean water to rinse the water reservoir and carafe. It will remove any remaining vinegar from the coffee machine.
- You can repeat this process until you won’t get clean and vinegar-free water.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Can I Use at Home To Descale My Coffee Machine?
Vinegar is highly recommended to clean the coffee machine at home. But there are also some other products that can be used instead of vinegar. You may use lemon juice, baking soda, or commercial cleaners instead of vinegar. You need to mix any one of these solutions into the water to clean the coffee machine.
What Is The Self-Clean Cycle?
Self-clean cycle option is available in high-end coffee makers. This is a good option that automatically removed buildups from the coffee maker. It runs a cleaning solution inside the coffee maker that cleans the water reservoir, carafe, brew basket, and filter. It helps to remove buildups and coffee grounds that accumulate over time.
Do You Remove The Filter When Descaling The Coffee Machine?
Yes, you should remove the coffee filter before starting the descaling process. So, the cleaning solution will run into all areas of the coffee machine and ensures thorough and effective cleaning.
Coffee is an essential part of many people’s daily routines. It keeps them refreshed and energetic. But an uncleaned coffee maker won’t brew a tasty coffee. So, in this guide, I have shown how to clean GE coffee maker. Keeping the coffee maker clean, you will get tasty coffee every time.
You can also check our other brand’s coffee maker cleaning articles.